Saturday, September 5, 2009

Tasting guilt

Do you ever experience tasting guilt? I'm not talking about calories here. I'm talking about when you go to a winery for a tasting (which you inevitably pay for) and then don't buy any bottles. Do you feel guilty? Should you? I do. I try to justify my not buying anything with one of the following excuses: I don't want to travel with wine. It's too hot in the car. The prices aren't justified. It's a recession and I can only afford this 2 oz. taste. I didn't like anything. I'm drunk and my judgment is clouded so I can't tell what I like. Are these acceptable excuses? Or do the workers curse you when you leave?

Today on the North Fork of Long Island I was thankful for the tasting situation at Pellegrini, where they give you your wines on a tray to taste at your own table outside. So in my eyes there is no pressure to buy as I perceive there to be when you are standing at the bar. (Possibly beside the point, we did buy a bottle. Perhaps the wine should just sell itself regardless of the tasting situation?) Of the 4 wineries we visited today, we purchased bottles at 3 of them. At the last one, [insert excuse for not buying here], so we slinked away, hoping they wouldn't notice.

I will soon be on the other side of the bar when I begin working in Wiemer's tasting room next week, but in the meantime I'd love to hear your thoughts...

No comments:

Post a Comment