Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Beasting off the Riesling

The last couple of days has been a whirlwind of labeling, lifting, cleaning, and tasting. I'm working on learning how to identify grape plantings by their leaves. This is not easy! The differences are very slight. I've collected some samples from Wiemer's vineyards - Riesling, Gewurz, Chardonnay - and I'm hoping to put together a complete collection of their estate grapes.

Now that I'm spending some time on the other side of the tasting bar I'm brushing up on my Wiemer stats. 70% of our production is Riesling, and we grow it on our 3 vineyard sites. HJW vineyard is behind the winery, and the Magdalena and Josef sites are 10 miles up the road. Each site has slightly different soils and mesoclimates that bring different properties to the grapes. Wiemer has 7 Riesling wines that they produce, and the fruit comes from some combination of the sites, with the exception of the HJW and Magdalena vineyard-specific wines. These are the only 2 Rieslings I haven't tried yet - better add that to my to-do list.

On my first day working the tasting room I got 2 tips! Hope tomorrow is another good retail day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment