Wednesday, September 23, 2009

First harvest

Today I picked my first grapes! They were Gewurztraminer. Aren't they pretty? Gewurz is cool because it's a white grape but the skins actually get to be a nice pinkish color. I filled 3 bins like this one. After we picked we sorted out the grapes that were affected by rot or victim to birds. I missed pressing because I was doing a tasting at a hotel in Watkins Glen, but when I got back tonight I tried some of the juice and it was delish. Very fruity with great acidity. The lot of us had picked Gewurz from 2 of our vineyard sites, HJW and Magdalena, and you could really taste the differences in the juice - that's terroir for you. What a great start. More to come!

2 comments:

  1. Great-looking grapes, Mel! Congrats on your first harvest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on following your dreams Melly! Love the Gewurz!

    ReplyDelete