Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Labels or Love

Why not both? Today I spent most of the day labeling Wiemer's 2008 Semi-Dry Riesling. There's a machine of course, and I was on an assembly line with 2 nice Mexicans (I'm not being derogatory - they are from Mexico, they told me). I practiced my Spanish on them (Como se llama? Me llamo Melanie.) We handled approximately 8 palates = 448 cases = 5,376 bottles! I can't even believe it. Plus the workout - I know a bottle of wine is only a couple pounds but handling over 5 G's of them fairly quickly was a great muscle and cardio workout! I love cheap exercise. 1 bottle did break though - it just clanked into some others and broke right in half! Not my fault, I swear.

Yesterday was officially the first day of the 2009 harvest - the guys picked and pressed some of Wiemer's Pinot Noir grapes to make sparkling wines. I missed this exciting day because I was traveling :( and we didn't pick today because it rained. But I am not super bummed because there is plenty more to pick and do. Like this morning I got to hose out the crusher - those Pinor Noir skins smelled amazing! And I got my shower for the day (kidding).

I am the only woman working in "production." I don't mind of course - it is just interesting to note how few women are in this business aside from in the tasting room. On another note, today I watched 7 men move an 800 kilogram stainless steel tank from outside to inside, and I didn't do much besides hold the sides of it as we were moving it into the warehouse. But, this could be because I came late to the party and tasks were already assigned and/or because I cannot drive a forklift.

No comments:

Post a Comment