Friday, September 18, 2009

The Search for Sauvignon Blanc

Many of you who know me know that I love Sauvignon Blanc. I have even gone as far as saying it is my favorite white. I know that the Finger Lakes is known for Riesling (thanks in large part to Hermann J. himself), and I love the many personalities that grape can take on, but I have to say I am psyched to see that some producers here are making Sauv Blanc. At Ravines I was able to compare their 2007 and 2008 vintages - '07 had some great citrus flavors, but the '08 had more of that grassy herbaceous character that I love (much like the New Zealand style I covet). This week I tried Billsboro Winery's 2008 Sauvignon Blanc, which is their first vintage SB. It actually had many of the qualities similar to the '07 Ravines, with crisp acidity, grapefruit on the palate and a smooth finish. All of these SB's retail for around $17. There are probably over 100 wineries around Seneca lake and there must be a few more Sauv Blancs... the hunt is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment