Monday, October 5, 2009

I heart my job

(Joe, Oskar, me, Maressa, Peter, Alex)
Even though my whole body aches from picking, pressing, standing and bending, and even though I just cannot get the dirt off my hands, I love my job. Today was a great day. We chased the Riesling for several hours and had lunch on the back of a truck overlooking the Magdalena and Josef vineyards with Seneca lake in the background. Even though picking grapes is labor intensive, it is also quite relaxing because you can chat with each other or get lost in your thoughts. Either way there is fresh air and it is a beautiful setting. After picking we sorted the Riesling and the rest of the Gewurz that the Mexicans had picked. Since we machine harvested the Riesling today we had to look out for staples that may have gotten picked off the rows. We also had to be on the lookout for these ginormous caterpillars that are red/pink with white spots. Literally they are bigger than slugs. I actually spotted the only one today and had to remove it from the bunches - it was so gross, let me tell you.

(Alex, the German intern, looking for staples and other non-grape objects)

For the Gewurz we just had to remove the unclean or unripe fruit. Peter had set aside the botrytis-infected Gewurz bunches to make a mini-cuvee (special blend or selection), and he asked me if I wanted in on it. So once we were done cleaning and the grapes were being pressed, he and I sorted through it. We're going to make a TBA dessert wine (TBA is a German abbreviation for trockenbeerenauslese, which is a type of very sweet wine made from grapes that have been affected by noble rot, or botrytis). We're hoping we have enough to make a half bottle for each of us, but that may be ambitious.

Meanwhile, Wiemer is going for employer of the year with a new employee dining area and these silly pins:

No comments:

Post a Comment