Monday, October 12, 2009

Happy Columbus Day

I've been delinquent in my posting. It's mainly because Columbus Day weekend is one of the busiest at the winery. Tons of people come to wine taste and see the beautiful fall foliage, which is starting to look really pretty. My family came to visit me, which was awesome! They brought the puppies and we had a blast. I had them try all the wines we have available for tasting and I now know everyone's favorite. Since I worked all weekend I just had a short time with them, but they got to sample the finest wine in the Finger Lakes and the best of Watkins Glen take-out: pizza and Chinese.

The days are starting to blend together a bit as I go from full days in the tasting room to nights on the production line. Temperatures have dropped, and last night on the sorting table it felt like we were sifting through little grape-shaped ice cubes. Tonight we rigged up a 40ft tarp over the presspad so we could sort into the presses without the grapes getting wet from the rain. We had a great system going and went through the batch pretty quickly. Go team! Then we blind tasted a Riesling from Idaho that was surprisingly good. It's going to be intense like this for the rest of October, but at least I know there's a lot of great wine in my past, present, and future. Hope everyone had a nice holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment