Thursday, July 9, 2009

Visit to Wiemer

I recently visited Wiemer for the first time and I am excited to get started there in September! The winery is structured as a barn with a high ceiling and little square windows to let peaks of light in. When you walk in it has that smell I love - a mixture of grape juice, wood, and yeast that you can't get anywhere besides a winery. There is an outside tasting area that was perfect for the warm June weekend.

I helped with labeling, feeding bottles onto the conveyor belt and making sure they came out looking perfect. We entertained some tasting groups and then I went over to Cornell to do a Wiemer tasting for their reunion. The wines were a hit! My table was swarmed with wine lovers for the full 2 hours.

Later that day I did some barrel sampling; I'd never done this before so it was really interesting to taste the wine in the interim stages. No previews though! You'll have to wait for the 2008 release.

Look forward to returning soon and getting my hands really dirty!

No comments:

Post a Comment