Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cleaning out the wine fridge Part 1 - Old v. New PN

Since I'm moving out of NYC this month I've been working on cleaning out my wine fridge before it goes into storage. The other night some girl friends and I did a little Pinot Noir tasting, Old World vs. New World. It wasn't a fair comparison, I fully admit, since the 2 PN's also differed widely in age. But hey, sometimes you have to work with what you have. The wines:

Morey Saint Denis 1er Cru, Cote d'Or Burgundy, 1998 ($70)
vs.
Bella Vida "Tardy" Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley Oregon, 2006 ($35)

The Burgundy was a ruby color with a silky texture and refined flavors of strawberry-rhubarb pie and clove, as classic as your favorite Prada flats. The Oregon PN was a pretty magenta color with a jammy nose and blackberry and cinnamon flavors, more like those platform heels that scream, "take me out, I can walk the streets of NYC, I promise!"

The girls were split over which they liked better. I loved them both. Flats or heels, to each her own!

No comments:

Post a Comment