Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cleaning out the wine fridge Part 2 - Aussie Holiday

Back in February I went down under on a dream holiday of relaxation and adventure. I visited some wineries in the Hunter Valley and Yarra Valley and tasted some great wines from small producers. When I came back home I had a soft spot for Shiraz so I bought 6 bottles of the 2008 Layer Cake Shiraz from South Australia on special at Crush wines. After taking inventory of my fridge recently I noticed I still had 5 of the 6 bottles plus a 2003 Jacob's Creek Reserve Chardonnay from South Eastern Australia that I think someone gave to me at my fondue send-off party before I left for my trip. I decided I'd take the Chard and a bottle of Layer Cake to last night's Philharmonic in Central Park, one of my favorite events of the summer.

Chardonnay is usually never my first choice of still white (bubbly is another story) unless I know for a fact it has been stainless-steel fermented. A lot of Chards are oaked and I tend to not like this style. However, the few years on the Jacob's Creek served it well, and it did have some nice crisp flavors underneath the popcorn nose.

The Layer Cake was divine - sort of like a chocolate covered strawberry, which in my opinion is the perfect dessert food. It's dry, but it could actually be dessert on its own because of these berry/chocolate flavors. It's definitely a heavier wine and not so much a "summer sipper," but I'll look forward to finishing off this lot over the next couple of weeks, especially if these cool nights continue.

Cheers, mates!

No comments:

Post a Comment