Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A Fond Finger Lakes Farewell

After working 2 harvests with Hermann J. Wiemer and getting involved in all aspects of winemaking, I am taking this great experience to California in search of new skills to add on. My Finger Lakes family bid me a memorable goodbye with a fantastic wine tasting of 16 wines from around the world. The theme, as usual, was to try to stump everyone. Points were given for accurate guessing of varietal(s), origin, vintage and price. I won first place, but I think it was rigged.


The lineup was extremely varied, and without really planning it we ended up with an interesting comparison of wines from around the world.

 Riesling from Germany and Ohio:

 Gewurztraminer from Hungary and Chile:

Pinot Noir from Germany, France, and Oregon:

 Red blends from Bordeaux, South Africa, and Languedoc:

My favorite was the Chassagne Montrachet from Burgundy, France. I was excited by the 2005 Prieure-Lichine from Bordeaux because my FLX family got me a bottle for my birthday last year, and after trying theirs that night and the day after (1 day of aeration helped a lot - it is still very tight) I am looking forward to aging mine another 10 years.

Thanks to everyone for the wines, the lessons, the fun, the experience.

Be sure to follow my adventures in California, as soon as I figure out what they will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment