Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Gewurztrameeter

Over the weekend we hosted a great event at Hermann J. Wiemer Vineyard featuring tank/barrel samples and a live jazz band. We focused on Riesling, Gewurztraminer, and Cabernet Franc - the 3 top varietals of the Finger Lakes. We offered 3 vintages of each, including the current 2009 release still in tanks/barrels. I hosted the Gewurz table, where I poured the 2006 and 2008 vintages plus a tank sample of the 2009 vintage, just filtered on Friday. I first had the 2006 Gewurztraminer in February when I brought a bottle down to Argentina and loved it. The 2008 Gewurz is one of my current favorites. And the 2009 Gewurz is going to be great - it's got a lot of concentration. These wines paired great with Chef Michael Murphy's spicy shrimp and his tarragon and mustard seed chicken salad.

Here's what one fan and fellow blogger had to say about the event:
http://www.livelifeeatright.com/2010/06/27/let-there-be-riesling/

Pictures to come!

4 comments:

  1. Aw thanks for the shout out :) Wiemer is my favorite! The 2008 Gewurztraminer has a very special place in my heart...That and the 2007 Merlot. I'm jealous you get to work there everyday haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited...I just signed up to take a Wine 10 class this weekend :) Hopefully down the road I will take the Levels. I've always loved wine but this event really inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great, Nora! Let me know how the class goes. So glad we could help inspire you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mel! The class was awesome! It was me and a married couple ahhaha a little awkward but I was so enthralled with the class. I'm actually heading back there next weekend for a 1-day "NY Wine Expert" camp. I started my wine adventure in the Finger Lakes so this seemed like a great next step :) Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete