Friday, January 15, 2010

Vinos de Chile - the Oscars



I managed to get myself invited to the 7th Annual Wines of Chile Awards Dinner last night, which took place at a golf course in Santiago. A panel of Canadian journalists (aka wine critics) judged the wines blind this week and the results were announced at this gala dinner, Academy Awards-style. It was very entertaining and I met some very interesting people, including the first Master Sommelier in Canada; there are only 2 in the country. Representatives from over 100 wineries were there, and I drank Casa Silva Syrah with the business manager sitting at my table. The dinner was a buffet of traditional Chilean foods from the north, central, and south. I don't think I made it to the south because there was too much food. It was heaven, with lots of seafood and Sauvignon Blanc. My favorite SB was from Montes, which is in the Colchagua Valley. After the food and formalities a Russian DJ played Chilean salsa music and American pop. The Chileans love this stuff! They don't know who Michael Jackson was but they know they like his music.

None of the winners were wineries that I am visiting on my trip, but it was a memorable cultural experience nevertheless. Special thanks to my new friend Fred (a fellow NYer and a Master Sommelier himself) for taking me to this event!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melanie-
    Glad you could make the event and glad you enjoyed it! It's Chile's biggest "wine do" of the year.
    We've got the full list of winners up on the Wines of Chile site now, so have a look if you're curious (or thirsty!)
    And more pictures are on the way, including some of your friend and ours, Fred Dexheimer, our new Wines of Chile Educator for the US.

    ReplyDelete