Monday, January 18, 2010

Chilean Riesling


With 2 days off from wine touring (yesterday was Election Day in Chile so wineries were closed and today I had a shopping day), I was going through a bit of withdrawal so I decided to pick up a half-bottle of wine from the supermarket (for less than US$4). It's from Underraga, who I visited last week, and it's a Sauvignon Blanc-Riesling blend from 2008. I don't think I have ever seen these 2 grapes together before so I was intrigued. Plus the bottle is a bizarre shape - reminds me of an old-school Chianti bottle or a liquor bottle. On the nose the wine has classic Sauv Blanc herbaceousness mixed with Riesling minerality and a bit of petrol. On the palate it is light and citrusy with great acidity and zest. Quite enjoyable for this sunny afternoon in Santiago. I hope there will be more Riesling in my semi-immediate future during these last few days in Chile.

1 comment: