Thursday, December 31, 2009

Tannat preview

During my last shift at W.I.N.E. in NYC I got a little preview of what I might expect to drink in Uruguay. Coincidentally we featured a Tannat-based blend from the Irouleguy region of France, way down in the south-eastern corner of the country, as the wine of the day. Tannat is the national grape of Uruguay and it actually means 'tannin.' So naturally it has a reputation for being a tannic wine. In Uruguay I have heard it tends to be a bit softer than traditionally in France - I will be finding this out for myself next week when I tour Uruguay's wine country. In this Irouleguy wine the Tannat is blended with Cab Sauv and Cab Franc. It was a nice bottle with dark fruit and pepper - I could definitely notice the Cab Franc characteristics. As for the Tannat, I have no idea what it's like but I soon will. Happy New Year! Feliz Año Nuevo!

No comments:

Post a Comment