Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Burgundies and such

The wine shop I am working in is geared mostly to Old World wines. Lots of Burgundy, NO Bordeaux, a good amount of Southern France, Italy, Spain; some Portugal, Austria, Slovenia.  There are a few Californias and a couple Oregon Pinots. Oh, and I should mention that the only New York label they carry is Hermann J. Wiemer. Coincidence? Of course not.

Anyway, it happens that I am one of those people who does not like oaky Chardonnay. Perhaps worse is the fact that I almost always make an exception for white Burgundy. White Burgs tend to have lower alcohol and higher acidity/minerality than their California cousins. Maybe they use older oak too? I should look into this further. Here's one that I tried on the job and liked for it's  crisp yet smooth taste of fig and apple:



Alcohol:12.8%
Price: under $25

No comments:

Post a Comment