Monday, August 17, 2009

Hamptons Wine Trail

Today I set out on the Hamptons Wine Trail to sample the South Fork of Long Island's 3 wineries. This area is most suited to growing Chardonnay and Bordeaux reds - Merlot, Cab Franc and Cab Sauvignon - but Pinot Gris/Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc also do well here. I stopped at Wolffer Estate first after loving their 2008 Rose last night with oysters and striped bass at Fresno in East Hampton. It's a blend of Merlot, Cab Franc, Cab Sauv, and Chardonnay. Wolffer is gorgeous and you can do your tasting outside on the patio overlooking their many rows of Chardonnay grapes (pictured). I liked their 2007 Chard, which saw some oak but was still fruity and crisp. They also had a nice 2008 Pinot Gris, with mineral peach and citrus.

Next I went to Duck Walk, always charming with its art-deco labels and offering interesting wines at reasonable prices. It also holds a special place in my heart because when I first visited them in 2004 it was the first case of wine I ever got, the inspiration for my buying a wine fridge, and the impetus for my signing up for the Intermediate class at WSET. Duck Walk is the only producer around of 100% Pinot Meunier, a grape that is often blended with Pinot Noir in the Burgundy and Champagne regions of France. I LOVE solo PM, and the 2007 vintage did not disappoint with its elegant texture and flavors of black fruits and bell pepper. Their 2007 Cab Sauv was also great, with fresh black cherry and a luscious chocolate finish.

The last stop was Channing Daughters, where I really liked their 2008 Sauvignon Blanc and 2008 Rose made from 100% Merlot. The Rose had a yummy watermelon flavor that reminded me of the fresh watermelon limeade I had the day before at La Fondita. Finally, their Rosso Fresco 2007 was amazing - a delicious, light summer red blend that would be great for BBQ's.

If you're out in the Hamptons this summer and the sweet life is a little too sweet for you, check out these 3 wineries and relax with their dry wines! Then let me know what you liked best.

No comments:

Post a Comment