Monday, August 27, 2012

Drinking the Stars at Domaine Chandon

"Brothers, I am drinking the stars!" - Dom Perignon

You may know the story of how sparkling wine was discovered - by accident. Dom Perignon, a Benedictine monk, was making ceremonial wine and the bottles started exploding, due to residual sugar left in the wine that re-fermented and gave off carbon dioxide, causing pressure in the bottles. He tasted it and proclaimed the above. He didn't totally understand it, and it wasn't until years later that the sparkling wine process was accepted, perfected, and demanded.

The rise of Champagne and the French Champagne houses have a very interesting history, and I'd encourage anyone interested in the subject to pick up The Widow Cliquot: The story of a Champagne Empire and the Woman Who Ruled It. It details some of the history of the Champagne trade and how the methods in the winemaking process were tested and perfected.

If you know me at all by now, you know I love bubbly. I drink it whenever I can and I don't need a special occasion for it; sparkling wine makes any occasion special. A few weeks ago I visited Chandon in Napa, after meeting one of their winemakers at Pinot Days in June. Chandon is owned by Moet and Chandon, the French Champagne house/empire. I visited Moet and Chandon on a trip to France in 2007, and I visited Chandon Australia in 2009. So, after living in California for over a year it was high time I checked out the Chandon in my backyard. I always love touring these facilities and seeing their processes. Chandon uses huge tanks that could double as studio apartments in New York City. They produce a huge amount of sparkling wine. After a tour of the facility, I had a patio tasting of the entire portfolio. My favorite was the Brut Classic, their #1 seller. A blend of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir, it was delicate, creamy, citrusy and refreshing... a classic!


Next time I'll have to check out Etoile (which means 'star' in French), the Michelin star restaurant on the property.

No comments:

Post a Comment