Sunday, May 20, 2012

Bubble Lounge, SF

Right down the street from my office on Montgomery Street is The Bubble Lounge. I'd been to the New York location so I was primed to like this one. The focus is, of course, on sparkling wines, so what's not to like? Unsurprisingly, the SF location is bigger, and I could envision having a private party there. I didn't hesitate for a second in choosing the Champagne flight, since Champagne is one of my most favorite beverages. Pink or white, it puts a smile on my face every time. Recall that Champagne must actually be grown in the Champagne region of France, and it can only be made from 3 grapes - Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, and Pinot Meunier. While many places around the world make sparkling wine in a similar method as Champagne, there is nothing quite like the original Champagne, and this is an example of terroir's influence on wine. The soil, the grapes, the climate - all have an effect on wine and contribute to regional differences in wine. The winemaking conditions also have an effect, and Champagne is known for its limestone caves where the wine is made and aged in naturally cool conditions.

From left to right: Henri Billiot Brut Reserve, Laurent Perrier Brut Rose, 
Gaston Chicquet Blanc de Blancs

The Henri Billiot is a traditional Champagne blend; the Rose is mostly Pinot Noir with a touch of Chardonnay, and the Blanc de Blancs is 100% Chardonnay, as the name requires. While I love the color and red fruit character of Rose, and I enjoy the minerality and citrus of Blanc de Blanc, the Henri Billiot won in my book for the ultimate balance, creaminess, and complexity of blended Champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment