Thursday, February 18, 2010

From deserts to glaciers to dinosaurs


I finished my South American journey by cooling off in Patagonia with the glaciers. In the town of El Calafate in the Santa Cruz province of Argentina, I was awed by glaciers and snowy mountains and enjoyed Patagonian lamb in all its forms. I was pleased to see that Patagonia is also a wine-producing region; I had high hopes for this Pinot Noir, figuring it must be more like the cool-climate Pinots I enjoy. Saurus is so named because when the Familia Schroeder winery was being built they found fossil remains of a Titanosaur, one of the largest species of dinosaurs ever known. Pretty cool! I had the 2007 Pinot with fondue and it was an ok match, but it might have actually paired better with meat since it was a fuller-bodied Pinot with high alcohol - 14.4% - and flavors of white pepper, red berry fruit, and vanilla. I was surprised by the alcohol but then learned that the Neuquen region of Patagonia where the wine is made is just south of the Mendoza province, where Patagonia just begins, so it is still pretty warm and dry there. Plus at this point I know how strong the sun is in these parts so ripening of Pinot would be quick and alcohol levels would tend to be higher. An interesting exercise and a reminder that I probably want to stick with meat for these Argentine reds!

No comments:

Post a Comment